[GUIDE][Flyer+View]Gingerbread S-OFF/Recovery/Permaroot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
This is a brief guide to getting S-OFF on the Flyer or view.

These are the devices and HBOOT versions supported

HTC View (express) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000 and 1.11.0003

If you don't have one of these versions, then see post 2 because the current application will not S-OFF your device as is PERIOD.

Step 1: Read the documentation

Step 2 (Windows): Uninstall HTC Sync and any other sync sotware ( eg Androsync ) that you have been using.

Step 3 (Windows) : Install these fastboot drivers

Step 4: Turn USB debugging ON

Note: The device should be fully booted to android now, do not go to the bootloader or fastboot.

Step 5: Connect the device via USB if not already done.

Step 6: Got to the revolutionary website and select the download for your platform (Windows or Linux ) do not enter anything in the form and do not close the page.

Step 7: Run the application to get your serial number it will be something like HTCXXXXXX

Step 8: Go back to the webpage and enter the details required on the form to get your KEY.
IMPORTANT: If you have a flyer, device is Flyer, if you have a View it is Express

Step 9: Copy and Paste the beta key back to the application and press return. If you don't know how to paste see step 6 here

Step 10: Follow the on screen instructions.

If you see this message:
SUCCESS - Life gave us lemons, we didn't make lemonade!
then S-OFF has been successful, even if CWM then fails.

If you didn't download ClockWorkMod as part of the process or it failed to download, then get it here

To root:
  1. Copy su-3.0-beta4-efgh-signed.zip to your sdcard root
  2. Start clockworkmod recovery (instructions below)
  3. Select "install zip from sdcard"
  4. Then select "Choose zip from sdcard"
  5. Then select "su-3.0-beta4-efgh-signed.zip"
  6. Then select "Yes - install su-3.0-beta4-efgh-signed.zip" to confirm
  7. Then go back
  8. Then reboot.
  9. You're rooted!
If you get an error "Status 0" when installing the SU zip file, immediately retry 99% of the time that works

If you can't get CWM on view to see the su zipfile
  • Open the lid and put an SD card in your flyer/view. It does open - it's just difficult and there is an SD slot.
  • Alternatively Follow the instructions here but DO NOT DO STEP 1.

This is a work in progress, and will be updated as and when time permits.

Last edited:

globatron

Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Known working/not working SW versions

This relates to the SW number under settings->about tablet and assumes you have a supported HBOOT

Flyer 32GB 3G:
1.36.1540.32, if 1.48.XXX.X does not work directly: use goldcard procedure below for HBOOT 1.07
2.00.405.3 works.

Flyer 16GB WIFI:

View:
1.22.651.1 confirmed working

Other Flyer HBOOT verions

If you have HBOOT 1.07 see this thread

Last edited:

globatron

Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
What can I do next

FAQ

Q. Is the Korean expresskt supported?
A. No, and running revolutionary for US express will not work.

Q. Can I undo S-OFF and return to S-ON?
A. Yes, there is a separate thread for that.

Q. Can I OTA update?
A. In theory an OTA will work if you have a stock recovery, in practice it it#s ot a good idea.

Q. Then how do I update?
A. Simple answer either don't or use custom ROMs.
A. Longer answer, you can extract the updates from an OTA or later ROM and flash it yourself.

Q. Will I lose S-OFF if I RUU or OTA?
A. No

Q. Will I lose root if I update?
A. Possibly, just re-flash it as described in the instructions above.

Q. Is SW version X supported?
A. If it's listed as not working it's not supported otherwise it should work.

Q. When will support for HBOOT X.YY.Z be added?
A. When it's added, if ever, there are no public release schedules nor is asking for ETAs permitted for revolutionary.

Q. My Flyer/View has no SD card slot/Where is the SD card slot?
A. Your Flyer/View DOES have a real SD card slot.
See: View Manual page 88
or Flyer Manual page 10

Q. Why does ClockWorkMod use the external SD card, not the internal EMMC SD card?
A. Becasue the sdcard handling in CWM does things like partitioning and formatting of the SD card. You really don't want to do that with the internal flash memory - it would be very bad if you did.

Last edited:

Westfire

Nov 6, 2008
Kansas City
Nice! Let me know if you want/need any help putting more info together. I am trying to get into development for the US Wifi Flyer.

mrkrad

May 2, 2008

HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000

If you don't have one of these versions, then don't even bother trying, the current application will not S-OFF you device PERIOD.

Step 2 (Windows): Uninstall HTC Sync and any other sync sotware ( eg Androsync ) that you have been using.

Step 4: Reboot the device if you have temp root.

Step 5: Turn fasboot OFF and USB debugging ON

Note: The device should be fully booted to android now, do not go to the bootloader or fastboot.

Step 6: Connect the device via USB if not already done.

Step 7: Got to the website and select the download for your platform (Windows or Linux ) do not enter anything in the form and do not close the page.

Step 8: Run the application to get your serial number it will be something like HTCXXXXXX

Step 9: Go back to the webpage and enter the details required on the form to get your KEY.
IMPORTANT: If you have a flyer, device is Flyer, if you have a View it is Express

Step 10: Copy and Paste the beta key back to the application and press return. If you don't know how to paste see step 6 here

Step 11: Follow the on screen instructions.

If you see this message:

If you didn't download ClockWork Mod as part of the process or it failed to download, then get it here

To root:
  1. Copy su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip to your sdcard root
  5. Then select "su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"
  6. Then select "Yes - install su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" to confirm
  7. Then go back
  8. Then reboot.
  9. You're rooted!
If you get an error "Status 0" when flashing SU, try this

If you can't get a CWM on view to see the su zipfile
Follow the instructions here
DO NOT DO STEP 1.

so i've got a new one with 1.11-003 - anything i can do??

mrkrad

May 2, 2008
Sorry no, if revolutionary detects anything other than 1.10.0000 on a flyer or a view with 1.09.0000 or 1.13.0000 it will quick. This is in order to prevent bricking your untested device.

darn - is there anything i can do that would help get this new device going? it's just a t-mo htc flyer 3G. first tablet that i've come upon that isn't rootable.

Let me know if there's anything i can do to help get 'er done.

j4jason

Apr 22, 2008
Sorry no, if revolutionary detects anything other than 1.10.0000 on a flyer or a view with 1.09.0000 or 1.13.0000 it will quick. This is in order to prevent bricking your untested device.

Even mine is matching the criteria, still fail... no reason :(
Already uninstalled HTC sync n installed fastboot driver, disabled fastboot on the device...

who can help?:confused::confused::confused:

cyko

Jul 27, 2007
Dongguan
I think this is a nice thread with very good instructions. Would you mind if I added this? It may help people that do not have the correct SW number under settings. For instance, I had a Flyer P510e 3G/32GB --- HBOOT: 1.10.000 --- ROM: 1.48.708.3 and I was able to S-OFF via Revolutionary after upgrading the system software. Here is what I did.

#1 You need to update to SW Version 2.00.405.3 from RUU_Flyer_HTC_WWE_2.00.405.3_R_Radio_20.3501.30.08 9BU_3809.05.04.10_M_release_194964_signed.exe which you can download via this link. It's about 517 MB
#2 Once you get that file, unplug your Flyer from your computer and then double click to run the utility. Somewhere buried in your user account folder will be an image file created by the update utilty. You need the image, do not plug your flyer in and try to update it. In my case, the image file was buried in C:\Documents and Settings\MyAccount\Local Settings\Temp\{0E03141E-27B1-4E3A-B9B9-18DA9C1FCBEC}\{50F2F878-636A-496F-A7CB-544C067E0C4B} and was named ROM.zip Hunt around that Temp directory, you should be able to find it.
#3 I renamed ROM.ZIP to PG41IMG.zip.
#4 You need an extra SD Card to make a "Goldcard". A Goldcard is a special SD card that lets you flash ROMs on S-ON devices.
#5 Put the memory card you want to use for the Goldcard into your Flyer.
#6 With the memory card in your Flyer, click on Settings, SD and Phone storage, then click Unmount SD card. Once it unmounts, click Format SD card. (Please keep in mind that some memory cards don’t work, and this will erase all data on your SD Card so back all the data up first to your computer)
#7 On the Flyer, go to Settings, Applications, Development and then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
#8 Download "GoldCard Helper" from the Android Market and open it.
#9 Get the code for mmc2 (mmc2 is the external memory card of your Flyer), go to the website shown on the GoldCard Helper screen and follow the directions to get your Goldcard image.
#10 Download the HxD Hex editor from http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
#11 Take your SD card out of your Flyer and put it into a SD card reader. Plug the reader into your PC so it shows up on your computer as Removable Disk.
#12 Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if you're on Vista or Windows 7) and click on the Extra tab, then click on Open Disk. Under Physical Disk select Removable Disk (your SD card you just put into the computer). Make sure to UNcheck Open as ReadOnly. Click OK.
#13 Goto the Extra tab again and click Open Disk Image. Open up the goldcard.img that you saved from your email. You should now have two tabs, one is the SD card (Removable Disk) and the other is the goldcard.img Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512 (Hard Disks/Floppy Disks).
#14 Click on the Goldcard.img tab and click on the Edit tab and click Select All. Then click on the Edit tab again and click Copy.
#15 Click on the Removable Disk tab (Your SD Card) and select offset 00000000 to 00000170 then click on the Edit tab and click Paste Write.
#16 Click on File then click Save.
#17 Close the Hex Editor.
#18 Test the card. Take it out of the computer, then put it back in. Try to open the memory card on the computer (Removable Disk), if it lets you, you are all set.
#19 Copy the PG41IMG.zip file onto your new Goldcard.
#20 Put the Goldcard into your Flyer and boot holding the volume down key.
#21 Update the ROM (takes about 5-10 minutes) You should now have SW Version 2.00.405.3
#22 Go to the first post and follow the instructions outlined by globaltron.

You should now have a S-OFF device with CWM and Root

Enjoy

Reactions: ppcfans

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Worked perfectly on my US Best Buy WiFi-only Flyer!

Thanks for the guide. Has all the necessary info, except a link to the Revolutionary website.

globatron

Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
I think this is a nice thread with very good instructions. Would you mind if I added this?

Not unless it is confirmed by someone other than you to be working, I appreciate the effort but I'm only going to add information that is certain to work and previous reports were that GC didn't work.

Ok, see another thread with confirmation. Thread linked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000 and 1.11.0003

If you don't have one of these versions, then see post 2 because the current application will not S-OFF your device as is PERIOD.

Step 4: Turn USB debugging ON

Step 5: Connect the device via USB if not already done.

Step 6: Got to the revolutionary website and select the download for your platform (Windows or Linux ) do not enter anything in the form and do not close the page.

Step 7: Run the application to get your serial number it will be something like HTCXXXXXX

Step 8: Go back to the webpage and enter the details required on the form to get your KEY.

Step 9: Copy and Paste the beta key back to the application and press return. If you don't know how to paste see step 6 here

Step 10: Follow the on screen instructions.

If you see this message:

If you didn't download ClockWorkMod as part of the process or it failed to download, then get it here

To root:
    1. Copy su-3.0-beta4-efgh-signed.zip to your sdcard root
    5. Then select "su-3.0-beta4-efgh-signed.zip"
    6. Then select "Yes - install su-3.0-beta4-efgh-signed.zip" to confirm
    7. Then go back
    8. Then reboot.
    9. You're rooted!
    If you get an error "Status 0" when installing the SU zip file, immediately retry 99% of the time that works

If you can't get CWM on view to see the su zipfile
    • Open the lid and put an SD card in your flyer/view. It does open - it's just difficult and there is an SD slot.
    • Alternatively Follow the instructions here but DO NOT DO STEP 1.

Known working/not working SW versions

This relates to the SW number under settings->about tablet and assumes you have a supported HBOOT

Flyer 32GB 3G:
    1.36.1540.32, if 1.48.XXX.X does not work directly: use goldcard procedure below for HBOOT 1.07
    2.00.405.3 works.

Flyer 16GB WIFI:

View:
    1.22.651.1 confirmed working

Other Flyer HBOOT verions

If you have HBOOT 1.07 see this thread
    What can I do next

FAQ

Q. Is the Korean expresskt supported?
    A. No, and running revolutionary for US express will not work.

Q. Can I undo S-OFF and return to S-ON?
    A. Yes, there is a separate thread for that.

Q. Can I OTA update?
    A. In theory an OTA will work if you have a stock recovery, in practice it it#s ot a good idea.

Q. Then how do I update?
    A. Simple answer either don't or use custom ROMs.
    A. Longer answer, you can extract the updates from an OTA or later ROM and flash it yourself.

Q. Will I lose S-OFF if I RUU or OTA?
    A. No

Q. Will I lose root if I update?
    A. Possibly, just re-flash it as described in the instructions above.

Q. Is SW version X supported?
    A. If it's listed as not working it's not supported otherwise it should work.

Q. When will support for HBOOT X.YY.Z be added?
    A. When it's added, if ever, there are no public release schedules nor is asking for ETAs permitted for revolutionary.

Q. My Flyer/View has no SD card slot/Where is the SD card slot?
    A. Your Flyer/View DOES have a real SD card slot.
    See: View Manual page 88
    or Flyer Manual page 10

Q. Why does ClockWorkMod use the external SD card, not the internal EMMC SD card?
    A. Becasue the sdcard handling in CWM does things like partitioning and formatting of the SD card. You really don't want to do that with the internal flash memory - it would be very bad if you did.

You don't have cmw you have revolutionary recovery.
    For the sake of giving credit to the right people for their work, it is clockworkmod recovery, but it is a revolutionary build. There are no other working CWM builds for the flyer or view, only the revolutionary builds allow charging to work properly.
    Thanks for this as the guide was very straight forward.

Shokouhi