[US/WW/JP/TW/DE/TB] One-Click Universal root for stock firmware - V4

Search This thread

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
Here I am again...
This time I have written a shell script (linux only) and made a live-cd (for all windows/linux users) to automatically root the stock firmware on the TF101. Every stock firmware.

Today in Europe Asus rolled out the 3.2 upgrade. If you are on stock and you have alredy upgraded then download attached tar file and do as follows:

NOTE: Unfortunately, this script won't work with the latest revision of TF101 (3G version, B80 and some B70)

NOTE2: As someone pointed out (thank you Pieter) you need to be root on your linux box in order to make it work.
Code:
tar -xvf universal.tar
cd universal
./universal.sh

In Ubuntu the last command would be:
Code:
sudo ./universal.sh

Follow the instructions and you're done.
If you have a stock US/DE/TW/JP/TB firmware you can do the same.
If you are running an older version of Honeycomb the process is the same.
When ASUS will pull out another upgrade... same commands as above.
So this probably is the closest thing to one-click-root for the Transformer.

This won't install custom rom/CWM/strange other things (V2 version added the support for CWM); it's only root.
I've tested this morning after the 3.2 upgrade and it worked like a charm.

However this is in testing stage so, as always, if you brick/ruin/burn/crash something don't blame on me.

This package includes the Bootunpack tool, courtesy of Rayman84

LIVE CD INSTRUCTIONS

It's based on slitaz (http://www.slitaz.org/).
Burn the image into a cd or if you want it on a thumb usb drive follow this (http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:liveusb).

Put the cd/usb in your pc and reboot.
Follow the indication on screen (for setting locale and keymap).
When the desktop shows up, double click on "Universal Root for ASUS TF101".
Again follow the indication and you'll be ok.

For a guide on how to boot from cd/usb try this: http://www.passwordunlocker.com/knowledge/change-bios-settings.html
or search with google.

The option to install a stock boot/recovery (added on V3) is working even if not fully tested.
The program has correctly rebuilt a stock recovery on my WW version.
From version V4 root checker correctly says that the rom is not rooted after you do an unroot.

If you like the work i did take a look at that funny button under my name with the "donate to me" caption :D
Seriously, I appreciate even only a "Thanks".

FAQ

[Q] I'm running on Windows, how can I burn the live-cd?
[A] Try with cdburnerxp (it's the easiest way).
You can download one installer frome here:
http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download
or the portable package if you don't want to install other software:
http://download.cdburnerxp.se/portable/CDBurnerXP-4.3.8.2568.zip

Start the program (for the portable version the file is cdbxpp.exe) and click on "Burn iso image". Then select the .iso file you have downloaded and click "burn disk". All Done.

[Q] How can I reboot in APX/recovery mode?
[A] Do as follows:
VOL UP + POWER BUTTON for ~5sec = boot in APX mode. The screen will stay black as if it is turned off. This mode is used only when you use nvflash to flash boot/recovery/data partition (this is the first step in my script).
VOL DOWN + POWER BUTTON ~5sec = will appear a screen where it says to press vol down again to wipe all data (obviously you don't want to do it now), or press up to enter RCK (recovery mode). If you installed CWM you will see the main menu navigable with vol up / vol down / power button.
If you have the stock recovery you will see a green android with a esclamation mark on a yellow triangle.

[Q] Help! I can't reboot in recovery mode!
[A] I think the main problem here is that it is a bit tricky to get into CWM recovery, once you see the small text come up don't try to read anything, just hit volume up.
Hold volume down plus power until the text in upper left shows,if you let go too early it just boots up and you never see the text. If you wait too long you don't get the option to boot into recovery. Hope that helps..
Thx to ckuke4 for this answer http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16306342&postcount=60

[Q] The live-cd gave me this error: "connection failed NvError 0x8" what is it?
[A] This means that either you are not in APX mode (read above), or that you have one of the latest revision of the tf101 (B7O) which have an unknown (for now) sbk.
For what i know, there's no knew method for rooting your device.
Maybe someone will find a way, but for now you have to be patient.

[Q] I'm running your scripts from my linux box, but it keep me saying "Permission Denied". Why?
[A] You need the root privileges on your local machine.
If you are running Ubuntu:
Code:
sudo ./universal.sh
[I](it will asks for your password)[/I]
If you are running another linux distro:
Code:
su
./universal.sh

[Q] I have rooted my tablet with this method, but I can't find the superuser app and Titanium Backup says that I am not rooted.
[A] The root script will asks you to reboot your tablet, make sure that usb debugging is turned on and then press any key.
You have to wait until you see a little bee on the bottom right of your tablet's screen, near the clock. Then press any key.

[Q] I've installed CWM but every time i try to do a backup, it says it can't find sdcard. But my microsd card work fine with root explorer!
[A] Don't get me wrong but, are you sure?
In root explorer you see a sdcard folder but it's not your microsd, it's the internal memory (it's weird, i know). In root explorer the microsd card is mounted under the "/removable/microsd" folder. You should also see a little sd card icon in the bottom right, near the clock.
Also you need to make sure the card is formatted correctly. Try reformat it with this: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/
Thanks to skeeterpro for the link (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16385872&postcount=6)

[Q] The live cd stops at the command prompt, I can't see the desktop.
[A]The live cd doesn't include every driver for every video card, mouse, keyboard, etc.. (keep in mind that the original slitaz livecd is only 30MB).
You can do all the process in the text console, it's not much more difficult.
If it asks for a login insert "tux" (without quotes).
At the command line enter the following:
Code:
cd
cd universal
./universal.sh
Then the magic will start. The unroot script is called ./unroot.sh

CHANGELOG:
V4:
- Corrected some text
- Added a link on the Desktop to this thread
- Added stock ramdisk for all SKU (though JP, CN and DE are not the latest versions) (thanks to kovla for the latest TB recovery)
- Added a script on the Desktop to increase the font size on the fly for those who are using a very high dpi monitor/tv.
- Changed compression algoritm. Now the iso is ~10MB smaller.
- Maybe I have found the way to make everyone read the faq...

V3:
- [BETA] added a second script to come back to stock.

V2:
- added the option to install CWM (thanks Roach!)
- more error check

V1:
First version

=====> DOWNLOAD LIVE-CD V4 - (Mirror)<=====

DOWNLOAD LIVE-CD V3 (previous version)

DOWNLOAD LIVE-CD V2

As always, keep your eyes open and
Have Fun!

Attachments

• universal-V3.tar
    5.5 MB · Views: 9,046
Last edited:

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
Hey, how about an equivalent windows script for those who prefer msft's os. Ok?

In linux there's no need for drivers to work with tf101.
Windows seems to be problematic with driver (for someone seems to be way too difficult install the right ones).
As i stated above, adding this to a live linux cd will be the final one-click-root (put a live cd/usb-memory on your computer, reboot, follow the easy instructions and you're rooted).
Sincerely I don't know how to modify a livecd to add these scripts and programs.
If anyone wants to try, he is welcome.

Anyway I don't plan to do a windows port of this.

cozzykim

Jan 9, 2006
Manchester
Will probably be trying this method from my PCLOS partition, if I can hold off the OTA update which has just begun pestering me.

Got to find out whether the modded adhoc wpa_supplicant works with 3.2 first, thanks for the effort HF :)

belrik

Nov 25, 2010
Excellent, glad to avoid having to dig out my old Windows box to root the TF :) Would advise people to drop it, new Mint/Ubuntu is much nicer visually than Win7 and my startup times are fantastic, not to mention the slick media support.

Does you script give also install CWM?

Will give this a go later and see how it works.

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
Excellent, glad to avoid having to dig out my old Windows box to root the TF :) Would advise people to drop it, new Mint/Ubuntu is much nicer visually than Win7 and my startup times are fantastic, not to mention the slick media support.

I was thinking on it, but perhaps it's better no.
Installing cwm means no more ota, since the update relies on the stock recovery.
This script was meant to leave all as stock as possible.

Reactions: emelie and xpgroup

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
For all the windows folks:

I have added to the first post a live-cd with all the necessary tools.
Just run it and you'll be fine. (anyway, you are always in time to switch to linux:p)

scirio

Nov 8, 2007
Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but would this work in Terminal in OS X?

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
Can you explain a bit about what it does? So we can all learn.:D

Thank you,

So you wanna learn? Good!
First i learned how to root the stock firmware from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1125714 .
Essentially the steps are:
1 - download a modified boot image into the tablet
2 - install the su and superuser packages.
My scripts do these 2 steps. I wrote a small howto that explains how to modify a boot image (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193737)

Hi !

Will it work under wmware or virtual pc ?
Sorry if this is a dumb questions, but would this work in Terminal in OS X?

I really would like to have an answer to these questions...
The Mac should have a layer of compatibility with linux (can't tell you more), but i really don't know the mac world.
*Maybe* the live cd will work under virtual machine; there should be some options to enable the usb feature. In Virtual Box there's an option to enable the usb controller and an option to filter what device will be accessible to the guest os; don't know vmware and virtual pc.
I don't know if an Intel based Macintosh is able to boot from a x86 live-cd, you could try.
I'm sorry i can't help you much more.

Reactions: xpgroup

ondoy1943

Jun 21, 2011
Created a live usb, booted via windows, and voila i am looking at a linux desktop, which i have not seen for a long time. Started going to its paces to root my tf, but did not push thru to the end, in as much as my tf is already rooted beforehand. But i can sense that barring any unforeseen miscues by the |op|, this almost one-click rooting procedure should produce its desired result. Highly recommended; good job |op|. ;)

Looks like this calls for an "unrooting" routine to complement the rooting process. How about it?

Last edited:

brando56894

Dec 16, 2010
Jersey City
Nice script! I just completed one of my own for unrooting the TF :cool:

One thing: why not just use adb reboot recovery instead of telling them how to do it manually?

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
Nice script! I just completed one of my own for unrooting the TF :cool:

One thing: why not just use adb reboot recovery instead of telling them how to do it manually?

I have already tried this, but seems it doesn't work.

if i write "adb reboot recovery" or "adb reboot bootloader" my tablet reboot in normal mode.

It's more reliable do it manually.

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
how can install ClockworkMod recovery

i rooted my transformer with your one click tool from live cd.

if i want install ClockworkMod recovery how can do ?

rebound821

Dec 3, 2008
Rome
i rooted my transformer with your one click tool from live cd.

if i want install ClockworkMod recovery how can do ?

For now if you are running on windows, you can use one of these methods:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1125714
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1185104

you are already rooted, so just need the cwm.

Since i had many requests on adding cwm, i am going to update the scripts and live-cd for adding this feature.

I'll keep you updated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here I am again...
    This time I have written a shell script (linux only) and made a live-cd (for all windows/linux users) to automatically root the stock firmware on the TF101. Every stock firmware.

Today in Europe Asus rolled out the 3.2 upgrade. If you are on stock and you have alredy upgraded then download attached tar file and do as follows:

NOTE: Unfortunately, this script won't work with the latest revision of TF101 (3G version, B80 and some B70)

NOTE2: As someone pointed out (thank you Pieter) you need to be root on your linux box in order to make it work.
    Code:
    tar -xvf universal.tar
    cd universal
    ./universal.sh

In Ubuntu the last command would be:
    Code:
    sudo ./universal.sh

Follow the instructions and you're done.
    If you have a stock US/DE/TW/JP/TB firmware you can do the same.
    If you are running an older version of Honeycomb the process is the same.
    When ASUS will pull out another upgrade... same commands as above.
    So this probably is the closest thing to one-click-root for the Transformer.

This won't install custom rom/CWM/strange other things (V2 version added the support for CWM); it's only root.
    I've tested this morning after the 3.2 upgrade and it worked like a charm.

However this is in testing stage so, as always, if you brick/ruin/burn/crash something don't blame on me.

This package includes the Bootunpack tool, courtesy of Rayman84

LIVE CD INSTRUCTIONS

It's based on slitaz (http://www.slitaz.org/).
    Burn the image into a cd or if you want it on a thumb usb drive follow this (http://doc.slitaz.org/en:guides:liveusb).

Put the cd/usb in your pc and reboot.
    Follow the indication on screen (for setting locale and keymap).
    When the desktop shows up, double click on "Universal Root for ASUS TF101".
    Again follow the indication and you'll be ok.

For a guide on how to boot from cd/usb try this: http://www.passwordunlocker.com/knowledge/change-bios-settings.html
    or search with google.

The option to install a stock boot/recovery (added on V3) is working even if not fully tested.
    The program has correctly rebuilt a stock recovery on my WW version.
    From version V4 root checker correctly says that the rom is not rooted after you do an unroot.

If you like the work i did take a look at that funny button under my name with the "donate to me" caption :D
    Seriously, I appreciate even only a "Thanks".

FAQ

[Q] I'm running on Windows, how can I burn the live-cd?
    [A] Try with cdburnerxp (it's the easiest way).
    You can download one installer frome here:
    http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download
    or the portable package if you don't want to install other software:
    http://download.cdburnerxp.se/portable/CDBurnerXP-4.3.8.2568.zip

Start the program (for the portable version the file is cdbxpp.exe) and click on "Burn iso image". Then select the .iso file you have downloaded and click "burn disk". All Done.

[Q] How can I reboot in APX/recovery mode?
    [A] Do as follows:
    VOL UP + POWER BUTTON for ~5sec = boot in APX mode. The screen will stay black as if it is turned off. This mode is used only when you use nvflash to flash boot/recovery/data partition (this is the first step in my script).
    VOL DOWN + POWER BUTTON ~5sec = will appear a screen where it says to press vol down again to wipe all data (obviously you don't want to do it now), or press up to enter RCK (recovery mode). If you installed CWM you will see the main menu navigable with vol up / vol down / power button.
    If you have the stock recovery you will see a green android with a esclamation mark on a yellow triangle.

[Q] Help! I can't reboot in recovery mode!
    [A] I think the main problem here is that it is a bit tricky to get into CWM recovery, once you see the small text come up don't try to read anything, just hit volume up.
    Hold volume down plus power until the text in upper left shows,if you let go too early it just boots up and you never see the text. If you wait too long you don't get the option to boot into recovery. Hope that helps..
    Thx to ckuke4 for this answer http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16306342&postcount=60

[Q] The live-cd gave me this error: "connection failed NvError 0x8" what is it?
    [A] This means that either you are not in APX mode (read above), or that you have one of the latest revision of the tf101 (B7O) which have an unknown (for now) sbk.
    For what i know, there's no knew method for rooting your device.
    Maybe someone will find a way, but for now you have to be patient.

[Q] I'm running your scripts from my linux box, but it keep me saying "Permission Denied". Why?
    [A] You need the root privileges on your local machine.
    If you are running Ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo ./universal.sh
    If you are running another linux distro:
    Code:
    su
    ./universal.sh

[Q] I have rooted my tablet with this method, but I can't find the superuser app and Titanium Backup says that I am not rooted.
    [A] The root script will asks you to reboot your tablet, make sure that usb debugging is turned on and then press any key.
    You have to wait until you see a little bee on the bottom right of your tablet's screen, near the clock. Then press any key.

[Q] I've installed CWM but every time i try to do a backup, it says it can't find sdcard. But my microsd card work fine with root explorer!
    [A] Don't get me wrong but, are you sure?
    In root explorer you see a sdcard folder but it's not your microsd, it's the internal memory (it's weird, i know). In root explorer the microsd card is mounted under the "/removable/microsd" folder. You should also see a little sd card icon in the bottom right, near the clock.
    Also you need to make sure the card is formatted correctly. Try reformat it with this: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/
    Thanks to skeeterpro for the link (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16385872&postcount=6)

[Q] The live cd stops at the command prompt, I can't see the desktop.
    [A]The live cd doesn't include every driver for every video card, mouse, keyboard, etc.. (keep in mind that the original slitaz livecd is only 30MB).
    You can do all the process in the text console, it's not much more difficult.
    If it asks for a login insert "tux" (without quotes).
    At the command line enter the following:
    Code:
    cd
    cd universal
    ./universal.sh
    Then the magic will start. The unroot script is called ./unroot.sh

CHANGELOG:
    V4:
    - Corrected some text
    - Added a link on the Desktop to this thread
    - Added stock ramdisk for all SKU (though JP, CN and DE are not the latest versions) (thanks to kovla for the latest TB recovery)
    - Added a script on the Desktop to increase the font size on the fly for those who are using a very high dpi monitor/tv.
    - Changed compression algoritm. Now the iso is ~10MB smaller.
    - Maybe I have found the way to make everyone read the faq...

V3:
    - [BETA] added a second script to come back to stock.

V2:
    - added the option to install CWM (thanks Roach!)
    - more error check

V1:
    First version

=====> DOWNLOAD LIVE-CD V4 - (Mirror)<=====

DOWNLOAD LIVE-CD V3 (previous version)

DOWNLOAD LIVE-CD V2

As always, keep your eyes open and
    Have Fun!
    No, I don't see "Press vol down to wipe all data or vol up to enter RCK". It just reboots back to android. I have done it at least 5 times, same thing each time.

I think the main problem here is that it is a bit tricky to get into CWM recovery, once you see the small text come up don't try to read anything, just hit volume up.

OK cool.... It worked fine
    When I look in rom manager to flash a recovery, it does not list the transformer at all. Which recovery do I flash?

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

The latest script version (V2) comes with CWM recovery.
    If you have already rooted, you can download the new version, rerun the script (it's harmless even if you are already rooted) and say "yes" when it ask for installing clockworkmod recovery (NOTE: if you install cwm you can't update with the ASUS's OTA firmware until you revert back to stock recovery).

I was thinking on it, but perhaps it's better no.
    Installing cwm means no more ota, since the update relies on the stock recovery.
    This script was meant to leave all as stock as possible.
    For all the windows folks:

I have added to the first post a live-cd with all the necessary tools.
    Just run it and you'll be fine. (anyway, you are always in time to switch to linux:p)